Horti.co.za privacy commitment
The horti.co.za website (the “Site”) is committed to safeguarding your privacy online. We will only collect, store and use your personal information for specific purposes. We use your personal information to support and enhance our relationship with you. You may contact horti.co.za at any time with any privacy questions or concerns and to see the personal information you have given us and request correction.
Information about you
When you (a customer and/or partner) register to purchase products through horti.co.za we ask for information such as your name, e-mail address, postal address, and contact details. horti.co.za then keeps a record of this information.
If you (a customer and/or partner) place an order with us and elect for us to store your credit or debit card details, horti.co.za will keep a record of those details. For more information about how credit and debit card details are stored and used by horti.co.za please see ‘how we protect information’ below.
We keep a record of any purchase/s you make from any of the partners’ stores at horti.co.za. This means both the partners and (in some instances) we can help to deal with any queries or problems you may have, and also so we can ensure that any information that we send to you is relevant.
We keep a record of any e-mail correspondence you send us, so we can track any problems or concerns you’ve had with any of the partners’ stores on our website. If you contact horti.co.za by telephone (via our customer service centre or otherwise) we may record, store and use that call for future training or business purposes. This includes, without limitation, use for the purpose of dispute resolution and/or complaints management.
We’ll also ask you questions at registration, and from time to time by email, that will give us information that will be used to improve your experience of shopping at horti.co.za. You do not have to answer these questions, but if you do we can communicate with you in a more relevant way.
If you would like to revise the information you have provided to us because you feel that what we currently have on record is incorrect, and/or you would like your information erased from our records, you can so do by contacting us in accordance with the information provided at ‘further information’ below.
How we use your personal data
All the information we collect via the Site or through correspondence (including telephone calls) with you is used to operate and improve the service we offer you and to personalise our service. We are committed to using your personal information only for:
- Passing on your orders to your chosen horti.co.za partner(s) so they can supply goods and services to you and for customer administration. Our partners may use subcontractors (including to assist with delivery and fulfilment) to process and provide your orders to you.
- Planning and managing horti.co.za’s business activities, including analysis of customers’ shopping habits, success of advertisements and push notifications and product and style preferences of our customers.
- Technical administration of our website.
- Providing you with information about the services we offer.
- Letting you know about offers and news from horti.co.za.
- Letting you know about offers, news and products from partner stores on our site.
- We may make your name and email address available to companies in order to advertise and market our services to you through other platforms on the internet (e.g. Facebook).
- To verify details of your payment method or credit card account.
During your registration process you are given the opportunity to select some of the ways in which we may use your details.
These are the circumstances in which we may share some of your data with others:
- When we instruct agents, contractors or third party service providers to provide business operations support (including advertising and marketing advice and support), financial services and technology services. Please note that these third parties are under contract, and our service agreements dictate that they only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit.
- To outside research companies whom we may ask to contact you directly for your opinions on our service, and our partners’ products and services (in which case we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function).
- If we are requested by the police or a regulatory or government authority investigating illegal activities to provide information concerning your activities whilst using the network we shall do so.
- If a customer recommends you as part of our ‘refer-a-friend’ scheme, we shall notify them that you are already a shopper with horti.co.za. We will not share any of your purchase or other details with that customer.
Managing your orders
We may monitor and review communications between you and our partners on our Content Management System (CMS), solely for the purposes of ensuring that your orders are managed appropriately by our partners and our customer service team, and in accordance with the terms and conditions that we have in place with our partners.
Data over the internet
The internet is a global network, so it is possible for your data to travel internationally, which may include places outside South Africa. If you visit or shop at horti.co.za, you’re agreeing and authorising us to process data in this way.
How we protect information
You acknowledge that the Internet is not a 100% secure medium for communication and, accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you send to us (or we send to you) via the Internet. We are not responsible for any damages which you, or others, may suffer as a result of the loss of confidentiality of such information.
We take every precaution to protect your information. To this end all personal information stored by us is kept on a server in a secure environment.
Secure Socket Layer (“SSL”) encryption technology is used for protection of information in transit for any sensitive transactions such as payments.
Only employees, our partners and any third party service providers who need the information to perform a specific job are granted access to personally identifiable information.
Storing your credit and debit card details
If you have elected to store your credit or debit card details with horti.co.za those details will appear automatically on the Payments page when you login and proceed to purchase a product with us. To ensure the security of your credit and debit card details we:
mask your credit or debit card number on the Payments page: only the last four digits of your credit or debit card number, the expiry date of that credit or debit card, the name (as it appears on the credit or debit card) and card type will be visible to you on the Payments page. Of course, we use all of your credit or debit card information to process your order but we do not display this information on the Payments page in order to ensure that no-one can accidentally see it.
require a CV2 (card security) number: we will ask you to enter your CV2 number even when using the stored card function.
If you would like to revise the credit and debit card details you have provided to us because you feel that what we currently have on record is incorrect, and/or you would like those details erased from our records, you can do so by contacting us in accordance with the information provided at ‘further information’ below.
How you can help us protect your information
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online in non-protected environments – for example on message boards, through email, or in chat areas – that information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. Also remember to close your browser window when you have finished your work. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet café. We cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems.
To see all the information we have about you, and to correct any inaccuracies, please write to us at: Horti.co.za P.O. Box 96, 7137, Somerset Mall
How to unsubscribe
If you no longer wish to receive any further email messages, post or other communications from us or you no longer wish to be contacted by other companies who you permitted us to provide your details to then please change your communication preferences accordingly here.
Our vendors’ privacy policies
Our partners are bound by the same legislation as us, and if they gather or keep your information, they must give you all relevant information about their policy, as well as giving you the opportunity to opt in or out of certain ways in which they might use that information.
By visiting this website with your browser settings adjusted to allow cookies, you are consenting to Horti.co.za using cookies for the purposes outlined below in order to provide you with a fully functional shopping experience.
Please note: to make full use of horti.co.za and to benefit from certain personalised features, your computer, tablet or mobile phone will need to be set up to accept cookies. The horti.co.za website (like many other shopping websites) will not work when cookies are blocked.
The data we collect through these cookies is solely for the purpose of enhancing our website and your browsing experience – it is never used to identify you and we would never share or sell on this data.